Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook fails to charge external device through USB Port

I have a MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2014) I needed to connect my iPad Mini 4, when I tried the Macbook had 90% battery charge and iPad had 33% battery charge. I shall add that the iPad correctly charged when connected directly to power outlet and also that computer was able to charge and iPhone 6S. The issue was that when I connected the iPad it started to charge and lasted literally only a second I mean iPad says charging and next second says no charging, I then connected the computer to the power outlet, by doing this while the iPad still connected to the USB port it continually charged for a longer period (about 15 min) during this time it was charging then suddenly was detected by the Macbook Pro.

Anyone have had this same issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 5:15 PM

5 replies

Mar 19, 2018 11:01 AM in response to JP-69

JP-69 wrote:

Issue seemed to be the cable I was using the original cable which was two year old when I switched to the OEM brand new cable the issue stopped.

That can happen when a cable is "marginal" or somehow internally damaged. I had one that my wife kept on bending hard next to the connector and I had to make sure it was straight. Some power adapters worked better with it than directly on a Mac. I had it replaced under warranty, but they wanted proof that I had bought something with a Lightning cable that was still under warranty. I couldn't know which device it came with so they just asked me if I had something that was still under warranty.

MacBook fails to charge external device through USB Port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.