Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I force-resize a window?

How can I resize a window?

It's bigger than the screen. I need it to be smaller than the screen.

With sticky keys + option + click on the third button, I can get it to resize the the same size as the screen, but I can't get a resize toggle on the bottom, and if I try to use a resize toggle on the top, left, or right, it snaps back, and expands so it's bigger than the screen again.

Using 10.12.6 on a Macbook Air 11." Using 1152 x 648 so I can see things on the screen.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 6:06 PM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2018 9:25 AM in response to Marja E

It may not help, but try the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan
also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 4, 2018 5:39 AM in response to Eric Root

I have to use sticky keys + option + click on the third button to get the bottom corners into the screen. I don't get a double-headed arrow on either bottom corner or the bottom edge. If I try to use the double-headed arrows on the other corners or other edges, the window snaps and resizes so it stretches off the screen, often off both the top and bottom edges.

And no it's not in full-screen mode.

Mar 8, 2018 7:43 AM in response to Eric Root

I don't know if I can do that.

I contacted the developers. They told me to use a higher screen resolution. I can do that for short periods, but it imposes *much* more eye-strain, because Apple doesn't let me turn system text up to a reasonable size, and RootRise doesn't let me turn their application text up either.

Mar 8, 2018 9:04 AM in response to Eric Root

No. The app won't allow window sizes less than 1000x693. The option-click is one way to force it to a smaller size, but it keeps snapping back out to 1000x693.

To avoid eye strain, I use a screen resolution of 1152x648. Since I can't increase system or app font sizes, and can't use many zooming tools, I have trouble trying to use a higher screen resultion on my laptop. I don't have access to an external screen for now.

How can I force-resize a window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.