Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail - cannot view emails

Hello

can someone help with email? I have a really strange situation with viewing my emails. My mail account is IMAP and I access it via my iPad and iMac. I tend to read my emails on my iPad first and then at a later stage access them via my iMac for actioning eg - filing, paying bills etc.

The problem is that if I receive a large email (usually the attachment), I cannot view it via the iMac and cannot view any subsequent emails. Apple Mail on the iMac shows 'downloading messages' and the number of new messages. As I watch the screen the number of new messages can change wildly but the email list does not update.

If I access my emails via web mail and delete the one with the large attachment, all of the subsequent ones will then become viewable on the iMac.

This is a major issue as I use multiple mail accounts and do not know if I am 'missing' any emails unless I carefully check the received dates and notice that days are missing. This is not ideal.

I have no idea what to do as I need to access all my emails seemlessly on both devices. I have contacted my ISP who says it's an Apple issue hence I am posting a question here.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue and how to fix it?

Thanks

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 9:59 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 4, 2018 10:33 AM in response to janiefromoz

Hello janie,
Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble receiving emails and attachments on your Mac after viewing them on your iPad and I'd like to help.
In cases like this it may help to rebuild your mailbox on your Mac using the steps below.
Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support
If the behavior persists or you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Apple Mail - cannot view emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.