Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Alternative that Lets Users Correct What We Type?

I'm clumsy, so I have trouble typing and have to edit what I've typed. I have to use Sticky Keys, and have to disable key repeat because it screws with Sticky Keys.

I sometimes miss a space, so I drop a file in a terminal command, but I have to re-type everything, and re-hurt my good arm from re-typing everything, because I can't just mouse over and add the space.

I sometimes have to add an extra term like --force-ocr after an error, but can't repeat the original command, and then mouse over, and add the extra term.

So it would really help if an alternative terminal would let me mouse over to add what I need to add.

I know there are alternative terminals, but I can't find out if any allow this. When I search online, I just get results for how to use the terminal to change the mouse settings.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 9:47 AM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2018 1:42 PM in response to Marja E

Depending on what shell you are using, I'm sure there is a whole world of funky commands available. I'm not really a big shell person, so I don't stay up on that stuff. The default shell on macOS is bash, but a really old version. Some of the modern, fancy bash hacks won't work. You can switch your shell to zsh, which is up-to-date, but the zsh community isn't as big as bash. And there are plenty of other shells available these days that you could compile and use. Anyone that deep into shells is likely to be a Linux person and probably not a mouse fan. I bet you would find what you are looking for in that domain.

Terminal Alternative that Lets Users Correct What We Type?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.