Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It's been fun.

I enjoyed helping others but I'm not willing to put up with nonsense. Good luck.

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 9:42 AM

66 replies

Mar 4, 2018 10:15 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Sorry to see you go, CountryGirl56. Hopefully, you'll reconsider. As macjack said, you have a lot of knowledge, and have already helped quite a few folks in a rather short amount of time.

Something to keep in mind if you'd like to stick around. Mainly, there are thousands of users here, and the odds you'll get along with all of them is zero. So, here's what most long time users do:

1) If you find yourself in a pointless argument, or with a user who to whom "common sense" is a foreign concept, just stop replying to him/her and move on to someone you can help. I know that seems like you're letting the other person think they've won, but they haven't won anything. You've won by realizing you have much better, and less aggravating things to do with your time. We're not paid to be here, so why allow yourself to be mentally pummeled?

2) If a user is really obnoxious, rude, etc.; remember, it's not yours, or any other member's job to "straighten them out". Click the Report button and let the hosts handle it. That's part of what they're here for.

Mar 4, 2018 10:28 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Dear CG,

This also saddens me. I have watched your excellent work with an admiring eye, looking forward to the time you join the senior contributors. I've not see anything from you that wasn't spot-on in content and presented in a cohesive, clear, and pleasant manner. You have a gift for this.

The way I've survived here for so long is to sometimes take a break. In 17 years I've taken a few. I usually come back recharged and better able to deal with the jerks manners-deficient people who fall for the mass media message that rancor and divisiveness are normal.

Please consider taking a short break instead of a permanent one. You have so much to offer.

With highest respect,

Allan

Mar 4, 2018 3:13 PM in response to CountryGirl56

CG, I understand; I've seen the nonsense/reactions to you much like I received & still do at times. It's tough being new(er) and a female especially. I went through quite an ordeal when I first joined and some were quick to team up and berate, but others see it. That shows their lack of character, not mine. Worse, it shows that assisting others is last on their list of priorities, much less the manner in which they respond to others - "it's not what you say sometimes but HOW you say it" isn't a concept they know....I gave up for a while but then refused to let them push me away, as I still very much wanted to learn so I could help more. The break did help though, as the targeting got to be a bit much. However, there are supportive users, as you see in the responses here, and who've been here much longer and are accepting. I took notice pretty early on how each responds & I look to them as the ones who truly want to help us & others. They help me help myself, and as a result, I can better help other users here. As for the others & those who are not open to others or just plain rude? I distance myself from them.

I do wish you'd do short term as the gentlemen have suggested.

I noticed straight away that you're on point with issues and resolutions esp with High Sierra which is something I've been dealing with loads lately in correlation to numerous operating systems, and the clear manner in which you clarify, is something I take to & appreciate. You offer a different perspective than the one I'm thinking on at times. I need that redirect in thought often, as I get stuck in a singular mode of thinking at times esp after work. Many excel here in helping me with this w/out realizing it.

I learn from each of you, and you've already become a great addition who I feel I can relate to and rely on.

No pressure, and yep-take a break, but....I do wish you'd stick around and certainly, come back after a break.

Sincerely,

A Southern Girl 😉❤

Mar 4, 2018 4:54 PM in response to babowa

Same as Csound1. I don't care if the person is male, female, what the color of their skin is, what faith they practice, or any other personal traits. What I care about is do they know what they're talking about? Can they do that in a way that isn't way over the head of the person they're helping?

I've seen quite a number of posts where a user said they didn't trust the response of a new user. To which I reply something like this:

Everyone is a new user at some point. Those level 8 and higher users didn't start at that number. The first post by a new users could easily be from someone who's been in that field for years and knows exactly what they're talking about. Saying a new user shouldn't be trusted or believed means that if Steven Hawking or Tim Cook started posting here, they would never get a Helpful or Solved mark because they're new users.

A person's level number or personal traits are meaningless. It's what they do to help that counts. About the only thing I can't abide are snotty users who talk down to less knowledgeable users. These are the folks who have forgotten they were once just as clueless about computers. But, as I noted earlier, these are also the types of folks I simply ignore.

Mar 4, 2018 5:35 PM in response to Csound1

It's not just Americans. I have dear friends from all over - primarily the UK. The problem exists, and I've seen it repeatedly with those who have obvious, feminine names. I thought of creating a neutral one as babs did but just stuck with my original. Most importantly, I simply wanted to let CG know I can relate and validate her feelings on another level as well. But I feel I pointed out that not all react in a demeaning way due to gender but instead & mostly, for an array of reasons that some of us will never know, in hopes she'd reconsider.

Mar 4, 2018 5:58 PM in response to liv0123

It was tough place for women onstage, very much a mans world, so I delighted in promoting women to high roles in the crew, stage manager etc. They were very good at it and could manage the interest of the men in a non threatening manner, one featured on my publicity shots for the CSO with a fiddle in one hand and a microphone in the other.

It began when I produced a show for Bonnie Raitt who brought an all female crew with her, they responded so well to my requests I decided to augment my crew with some.

Mar 4, 2018 6:22 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Our current administration has made misogyny seem commonplace, my stage crews had many highly valued females amongst them, my company actually won awards from our unions for it. I tried for 50/50 but did not always achieve it.

Talent comes in many packages, many of which are female.

Good for you! I don't pay much attention to gender either - what counts is being open to diversity, attitude, knowledge and a lot of other more important things. I've always thought of myself as being a world citizen.

Mar 4, 2018 8:09 PM in response to CountryGirl56

If misogyny is your reason, i say ignore them. Which I know is easier said than done. I’m female, and in a verymale dominated agency and job role. Not to mention being the tech person that my male coworker turns to because his brain isn’t wired to solve problems, while mine is.

I’ve lived it. I’ve been the only female cameraperson, only female graphics person. I’m the one that plans our equipment when we host national meetings, and still watch the hotel staff go to my male counterpart first. I’ve dealt with setting up my equipment, then having the male tech person at the hotel turn stuff back on to doublecheck my work behind my back. I’ve spent 20 years living with it and probably will til the day I die. I’ve gotten to the point where I do a quiet ‘bite me’ when the guys have to admit that yes, I do know the answer and yes, having boy parts is not an automatic qualification to do a job.

That said, I have certainly had my days of ‘it’s not worth it’. I have been at my agency now for 16 years and have earned the respect of peers and so I may be in a different place than you.

If you need time, take it. Do what is good for you and good for your mental health. Coming here should be fun, and if it’s not fun, then it’s not worth it. It’s not like you need to be here to log time to get paid or anything.

If someone is following you around and harassing you or making inappropriate remarks, turn them in. See if Theresa and Mandy and co can do anything, or at least bring the issue to theri attention.

But I usually tell myself, when I get to deal with one of those ‘I have a y chromosome so obviously i’m superior to you’ folks that if their gender is all they base their knowledge and ability on, they have the problem, not me.

Mar 5, 2018 10:13 AM in response to CountryGirl56

Don't let the nonsense get to you. It would be very sad, if you go. You were on the right track. Offering good help.

It happens around here more than many of us would like. But its something you just learn to ignore.

If a poster is just being nasty, and irritating its best to ignore them, and move on to a different post, help someone who will appreciate it.

Otherwise, just offer the help you can when you can.

It will be sad to see you go.

It's been fun.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.