Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to delete archived AppleMail folders?

I copied mailbox folders into the archived folder; no idea why I did that! Is it safe to delete the folders? Meaning, that by doing this will I still have the original folders in AppleMail and Gmail? Thank you!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), about apple mail and smart groups

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:11 PM

The Archive mailbox is a place to put old emails. Not sure it's a good idea to put the actual mailbox folders in the /Home/Library/Mail/ folder. It's possible to export an entire mailbox or use third-party software to archive mail in a searchable database.

If you wish to retain mail and mailboxes in Mail then you only need Copy mail to the Archive folder rather than Move it. If retaining all of your mail in their assigned mailboxes then don't do anything with them, thus leaving the Archive mailbox empty. Whatever mailbox folders you have put in the Archive mailbox I would put them back where you had them unless you Copied them and did not Move them. If you Copied then you can safely delete the copies in your Archive mailbox.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 12:11 PM in response to Martha Anne

The Archive mailbox is a place to put old emails. Not sure it's a good idea to put the actual mailbox folders in the /Home/Library/Mail/ folder. It's possible to export an entire mailbox or use third-party software to archive mail in a searchable database.

If you wish to retain mail and mailboxes in Mail then you only need Copy mail to the Archive folder rather than Move it. If retaining all of your mail in their assigned mailboxes then don't do anything with them, thus leaving the Archive mailbox empty. Whatever mailbox folders you have put in the Archive mailbox I would put them back where you had them unless you Copied them and did not Move them. If you Copied then you can safely delete the copies in your Archive mailbox.

Is it safe to delete archived AppleMail folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.