Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i update to high sierra in segments

I don't have the time or the data source to download 5g at one time. Can I download High Sierra in segments after the continue page that is engaged after the update app starts?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Update to High Sierra

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:41 PM

No. It is only available in a contiguous 5GB file. If you haven't the bandwidth to download the file then take a formatted USB flash drive to your local Apple retailer and ask them to put the installer on your flash drive.

11 replies

Mar 4, 2018 12:56 PM in response to adcdefg

Where are you located? To have someone here make a bootable installer for you they would need to know your Apple ID and password to log in to the App Store. I would not recommend doing that. I think you need to find the time and data source where you are located or forget upgrading for now.

Mar 4, 2018 1:04 PM in response to adcdefg

Do you know someone with a Mac that has good internet access, if so you could use their Mac to download the installer app and then transfer it to your Mac. You would need to login to the App Store using your Apple ID, once the download has completed quit the install process, look in the Applications folder for Install macOS High Sierra.app and copy it to a USB and transfer it to your Mac, double-click it to start the installation process.

Mar 4, 2018 1:49 PM in response to Eau Rouge

I may be understanding this backwards. I was able to get the "Install macOS HighSierra" app. That was only 20MB. The update is supposed to be in the 4 to 5 G range. What form would the rest of the update take, a DMG? a file? Can I identify and copy the vessel with the real update and then run the Install app pointing towards the update file?

I won't be back in the land of plentiful internet for months. I do have a bunch of software that won't work without an OS update and I have a personal project I'd like to work on as I have some free time coming up. I do have people who are Mac centric coming down in a few weeks. What would they need beyond my Apple ID, etc?

Mar 4, 2018 2:28 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Double clicking on the Installer app takes me to "to set up and install..." click continue. After a few minutes I get a user agreement, then the typical install to Mac HD, then a page that wants to add a helper tool. Continuing to that I get a download bar that after 4 or 5 minutes still hadn't told me the amount to be downloaded or the time remaining.

Could the Helper App be the one with the real stuff? Can that somehow be copied and the install app directed to that location? Could the helper act be downloaded in segments like a podcast or any other typical download?

Mar 4, 2018 4:15 PM in response to adcdefg

adcdefg wrote:

I was able to get the "Install macOS HighSierra" app. That was only 20MB.

That happens sometimes, especially to those with slow download speeds. That means you got all but one of the pieces, but the most important piece that contains the actual OS files probably timed out before it had finished. The way it works is that it downloads into a temporary area of your boot drive and when complete is combined with all the other necessary files in your Application folder.

It might be possible to download that missing piece and put it where it belongs, but it's a very complicated process. I think it has only happened to me once and I just tossed the "mini-installer" and was successful the second time. That's what everybody else I know who had this problem did, also.

can i update to high sierra in segments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.