Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes could not backup because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone

Basically I'm trying to backup with iPhone 6+ with 11.2.6 so I can lob all my stuff on there onto my 7+ and I'm getting this error.

I'm using the brand new cable and have plenty of space on my Macbook.

Anyone have any ideas? I've trawled the internet this evening and tried all the 'solutions' I have seen.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 2:19 PM

Furthermore, same error pops up when i try to backup via wi-fi,

Would have been nice to know earlier.

I would suggest restoring using iTunes as it now seems an iOS problem and that is the only resolution for one. Be sure to archive any existing iTunes backups before making a new one as you will overwrite it. iCloud allows for multiple backups.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 2:19 PM in response to vwf12

Furthermore, same error pops up when i try to backup via wi-fi,

Would have been nice to know earlier.

I would suggest restoring using iTunes as it now seems an iOS problem and that is the only resolution for one. Be sure to archive any existing iTunes backups before making a new one as you will overwrite it. iCloud allows for multiple backups.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 13, 2018 10:13 AM in response to LACAllen

Is there a work-around for this requirement? 😕 I have an older MacBook that can only upgrade iTunes to v11.4. My iPhone 6 is running iOS 11.2.6.

If it's not possible could you tell me what the last iOS version would be compatible? I have some of my older iPhones I use for streaming radio and maybe I could use them as defacto iPod touches too. 😀

Itunes could not backup because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.