Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I open MSN, a popup appears that Safari cannot identify ib.adnx.com

When I open MSN, a popup appears that Safari cannot verify the identify of the website ib.adnx.com website. The certificate for this website is invalid. You might be connecting to a website that is pretending to be "ib.adnx.com" which could put my confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the website anyway?

I checked online and recommends to download comboCleaner but I'm not sure about doing that. The page that recommends that gives the following information:

Ib.adnxs.com is one of the latest versions of browser hijacking page-redirects. This potentially unwanted application is a legitimate piece of software, which is supposed to improve the quality of the users’ online experience. However, some users, who have already encountered it, claim that Ib.adnxs.com not only does not make their web browsing any better but in fact it tends to replace their homepage or their search engine with some new and unfamiliar ones. The Privacy Policy of this program also reveals that the hijacker may keep a track on certain browsing-related information in an attempt to increase the users’ exposure to relevant commercial content (mostly ads, pop-ups, and banners) and redirect them to sites, relevant to their searches. Ib.adnxs.com may effectively get added to Safari,Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Internet Explorer and practically any other browser and it may extract browsing data from it for its online redirecting and advertising purposes. If you want to remove this program and uninstall the browser changes it has imposed, we suggest you carefully study the next paragraphs. They will give you some basic understanding of the characteristics of Ib.adnxs.com as well as the browser hijackers in general. At the end of the page, you will find also a Removal Guide and a professional Ib.adnxs.com removal tool, which will help you eliminate the real cause of the browsing disturbance once and for all.

My iMac is:

iMac 21.5-inch, late 2013

Software OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I don't know how to get rid of it. Thank you in advance for your help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Processor is 2.7 GHz Intel Core

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 1:11 PM

Similar questions

27 replies

Mar 21, 2018 11:50 AM in response to Candelsong84

You are welcome. I forgot that Malwarebytes now requires 10.10 or later. Go back to this article and do not download anything there. The manual uninstall is straightforward. Go to your Applications folder and look for any suspicious applications you don't recognize. The one mentioned in the article is Babylon. Move any suspicious application to the Trash and restart. Test. Once that is taken care of then consider upgrading.

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-ib-adnxs-com.html#h-mac-os-x

User uploaded file

I would suggest upgrading to High Sierra to make sure you get the latest security updates and the newest upgrades to Apple programs such as Safari. Make sure you have backups before doing anything. Before deciding what OS to upgrade to, check for application compatibility and a print driver for your printer.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible.

Application Compatibility

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

Mar 25, 2018 2:49 PM in response to christopher rigby1

Thank you Christopher. You had answered me previously about my problem with this response:

Mar 21, 2018 10:02 AM in response to Candelsong84

I'm afraid this is suddenly a big problem for Safari 9 users in Mavericks. In the last few weeks, it's started displaying that message for all kinds of supposedly invalid certificates - one of the most typical is stag.bluekai.com which comes up every time eBay is open.

It's not a certificate problem, it's a Safari and therefore Apple problem. You can verify this by opening the web page in Firefox or Chrome - I'm betting it will open without issue. I don't know why this has suddenly started to happen. If Apple will not address it, you may have to use FF or Chrome instead.

My own solution (as I prefer Safari) is to use Safari for 90% of my needs, but also keep Chrome open to copy and paste in problem web addresses.

I also installed a Safari extension "Disconnect" which helps with some, but not all, of these issues.

And I responded:

User uploaded file

I'm not sure where to go with this. I couldn't find the Disconnect Safari extension. Don't know why.

Didn't see the Chrome browser in the App store so I'll have to figure out how to do that. Did you get your chrome browser from Cnet? In preparation for Sierra upgrade, I made a back-up with Backblaze. Are you familiar with that?

Thanks, Linda

Mar 21, 2018 11:06 AM in response to Candelsong84

You are welcome. Let's try to get this fixed before worrying about upgrading the OS. One step at a time.Try using Malwarebytes rather than download anything from that site. Most long time posters recommend not using any antivirus programs. They often interfere with computer operations and provide little to no protection. Except for testing, I have never had an antivirus program installed on my computer(s).

Download this program which was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. There is no reason to leave it installed once troubleshooting is finished. The free version doesn't update itself. If you need it again, you can download it again.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.10 and later

Backups - you should have backups whether you upgrade your OS or not.

You should consider having at least 2 backups on 2 separate drives as hard drives do fail. Time Machine will back up to multiple drives, alternating between them. Another often recommended backup is one that is stored away from your home in case of fire or theft. Since that one isn't backed up daily, I'd recommend a clone. There are also cloud based backup systems you can use for off site storage.

Time Machine Basics

Time Machine Basics (2)

Clone - Carbon Copy Cloner (Often recommended as it has more features than some others)

Clone – Data Backup

Clone – Deja Vu

Clone - SuperDuper

Clone Software – 6 Applications Tested

Commonly Used Backup Methods

Cloud Backup Services - Best

Cloud Backup Services - Best (2)

Mar 21, 2018 10:02 AM in response to Candelsong84

I'm afraid this is suddenly a big problem for Safari 9 users in Mavericks. In the last few weeks, it's started displaying that message for all kinds of supposedly invalid certificates - one of the most typical is stag.bluekai.com which comes up every time eBay is open.

It's not a certificate problem, it's a Safari and therefore Apple problem. You can verify this by opening the web page in Firefox or Chrome - I'm betting it will open without issue. I don't know why this has suddenly started to happen. If Apple will not address it, you may have to use FF or Chrome instead.

My own solution (as I prefer Safari) is to use Safari for 90% of my needs, but also keep Chrome open to copy and paste in problem web addresses.

I also installed a Safari extension "Disconnect" which helps with some, but not all, of these issues.

Mar 21, 2018 10:30 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Eric. When I clicked on the link you sent, this comes up. Is this the correct site to use to remove the spyware? Also, when I bought my Mac, Apple said I wouldn't have to worry about viruses or malware. But that was back in January 2014, so I guess things have changed. Do you have Norton or Macintosh on your system to detect viruses, etc.?

When I clicked on the link, below comes up. Well, I couldn't copy it, but it takes me to the website 2-spyware.com which has a picture with Eric Wilson. It also states, i might have to purchase something. It says to download Reimage remover. and if I have a problem, I will have to buy a licensed copy of Reimage remover.

Mar 21, 2018 10:55 AM in response to Candelsong84

I am not sure how to upgrade my OS. Will I have to back up my files before upgrading? I have Seagate Backup Plus but have never had to reinstall files from it and am not quite sure how to do that if i need to.

Also, in my first reply to you about my problem, the page shows John Wilson, not Eric Wilson. Don't know if this is where you wanted me to go, but that is what came up when I clicked on the link you gave me.

Thank you for your help Eric.

Mar 21, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Candelsong84

Thanks again Eric.

When I downloaded the program written by Thomas Reed, I got the message:

This installation requires macOS Yosemite (10.10), El Capitan (10.11), Sierra (10.12) or High Sierra (10.13).

So I will have to upgrade. Which macOS upgrade do you suggest?

I have to run some errands right now, so I will check for your response in about 3 hours.

Mar 21, 2018 7:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric

I didn't find any suspicious entries to delete. This is what my application folder looks like:

I copied it to grab, but can't paste it here. I also have the Stags bluekai.com problem.

I'm not sure why I couldn't find anything. Can you suggest a way I can copy the applications folder to this post like you did?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mar 22, 2018 12:03 PM in response to Candelsong84

That is actually not a malware or adware issue. This problem is, unfortunately, normal with Mac OS X 10.9.

Recently, 10.9 systems began to have problems verifying certificates for certain sites. The bluekai.com sites, as well as the Oracle site (who owns bluekai.com), are among the affected sites. Another affected site is ib.adnx.com.

I am not clear at this point what the cause of the problem is, but I have been able to confirm this behavior on a freshly-installed, clean 10.9 system.

Unfortunately, there are only two options available to you. One is to upgrade or downgrade your system. Mac OS X 10.10 and higher do not suffer from this problem, and strangely, for whatever reason, Mac OS X 10.8 is also not affected.

The other option is to stop using Safari and switch to Chrome or Firefox.

Mar 22, 2018 9:40 PM in response to Eric Root

These are the operating systems that are compatible with my Mac:

Mac: MacOS Sierra v10.12 / Mac OS X v10.11 / Mac OS X v10.10 /Mac OS X v10.9 / Mac OS X v10.8 / Mac OS X v10.7 / Mac OS X v10.6 / Mac OS X v10.5 / Linux OS.

I may not be able to upgrade to High Sierra unless I get a new printer. I remember I had a lot of problems attaching my printer to the Mac when I first got it. I had to download drivers for MP180. I have Canon Pixma MP160. When I bought my Mac the salesperson told me that the Pixma would be OK to use.

If I decide to get a new printer, I will have to figure out one that would work with my system.

I hope my back-ups won’t take too long. Also, I am nervous that I might have problems after the upgrade.

Thomas replied to my problem today but I want to go with your advice since you’ve helped me so much. Can you read his post that he sent also?

Thank you very much.

when I open MSN, a popup appears that Safari cannot identify ib.adnx.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.