Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting from a list

I'm trying to create a timesheet and tip calculator. On one tab I want to have a list of employees with their wages. On second table I want in column 1 to be able to choose from the list of employees that exists in table one. In the next column, I would like to allow them to input the current date and time - ideally from a button that says NOW for employee sign in. The third column would also have a NOW button for sign out.

In Excel I can create a pop-up menu from another table and I can add a button. These features don't seem to exist in numbers. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iOS

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 6:50 PM

You cannot create a Pop-Menu whose items are automatically generated from a range of cells. However you can select a range of cells, and when you choose Pop-Up Menu under Data Format each will have a Pop-Up menu that includes a list of distinct values from the range that you selected. You can then copy-paste one of the cells containing the menu elsewhere wherever you need it.

As for inserting a time stamp in the sign in and sign out columns, note that you can double-click a cell and choose Insert > Date & Time from the menu. You can attach a keyboard shortcut to that menu item, if you need to use it frequently, at System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

User uploaded file

SG

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2018 6:50 PM in response to Dan Derby

You cannot create a Pop-Menu whose items are automatically generated from a range of cells. However you can select a range of cells, and when you choose Pop-Up Menu under Data Format each will have a Pop-Up menu that includes a list of distinct values from the range that you selected. You can then copy-paste one of the cells containing the menu elsewhere wherever you need it.

As for inserting a time stamp in the sign in and sign out columns, note that you can double-click a cell and choose Insert > Date & Time from the menu. You can attach a keyboard shortcut to that menu item, if you need to use it frequently, at System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.

User uploaded file

SG

Mar 4, 2018 5:36 PM in response to Dan Derby

An answer to a similar question is here: excel spreadsheet with drop downs

It is not as elegant as in Excel, but Numbers does have the ability to do what you are asking. If you have a list of names, get them in the order you wish them to appear in a drop down list, select them all, change the cell format to pop up menu. Now you have a cell type that allows you to choose names from a list. Copy/paste it to whereever you need it.

If you need to make changes to the list or add/remove names, I think what you do is select all the names again, change cell format to automatic, add/remove/edit/rearrange them as you need, then select them all, change them back to pop up menu, and copy/paste the updated list to wherever you want it.

i recommend the list beginning with a blank cell so that you can have a blank entry to choose from on the list.

The thing better about Excel's method is that all cells that have the data validation in it are dynamically updated with the new list whereas in Numbers, old cells will have older versions of the list, and the new list will only be in those cells where you have pasted the new list.

Mar 5, 2018 12:31 AM in response to Dan Derby

Hi Dan,

If you think Apple should add these (or any) features to Numbers, you should be talking to Apple. Here, you're talking with users like yourself. We can offer assistance with using the application as it currently exists, but have no control over adding features to the actual software.

To make your wishes know to Apple, Open Numbers document, Go to the Numbers menu, Choose Provide Numbers Feedback, and make a Feature Enhancement request.

"A programmable button would also be a professional feature."

Yes it would. 'Professional' features tend to come with 'professional' level applications, which generally have 'professional fees' attached. Numbers is 'Consumer' level software, as evidenced by the price (and the software itself.

Regards,

Barry

Selecting from a list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.