Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPads randomly started asking for Apple Account Credentials with Configurator 2 (all apps have been "purchased" through VPP)

So this one is really weird.

Had the issue last year with migrating over where I had to re"buy" the free apps through VPP, that's is not the case this time.

All of a sudden and only on certain sets of iPads (have noticed it to be the AIRs only so far) have started asking for Apple ID credentials just randomly in the middle of the day.

One change I know I did maybe 2 weeks ago was renewing that push portal certificate, which the expiry date of the old certificate may well co-incide with the date the issues started and it's now showing as valid, but maybe I need to deploy something from that?

I can't see what or why as for all the iPads in the school, I physically plug them into the Mac server, using one of those 16 port USB adapters, but maybe I missed something there?

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Andrew

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6, Worked fine until a few days ago.

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 1:52 PM

To clarify, "in the middle of the day" is not referring to it only happening then - it is always asking for the prompt even after wiping and re-installing everything.

What I was saying is that it didn't happen due to a network change or an iOS update or anything like that.

3 replies

Mar 13, 2018 3:42 PM in response to blackwoodps

An update: it appears it was just Apple being Apple, however, some very strange things have been happening with, in particular, Wi-fi profiles.

Used to be that I could set up a wireless profile to our network and the profile would auto-join the network. Now it tries and fails 3 times or so and then I have to manually select the network, which then prompts me to trust a security certificate from our Radius server (which is already in the profile) and then it will join.

It feels like the two are related, but God knows...

iPads randomly started asking for Apple Account Credentials with Configurator 2 (all apps have been "purchased" through VPP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.