Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Problem after updating to Safari 11.03

I have a Macbook Pro - 4 years old now. OS v10.11.6. All working ok yesterday. Timeline does regular back ups to an external drive. Last night I updated to Safari 11.03 via the App Store (and left it running). This morning - problems. When I log in, the system tells me that there was a problem in shutdown. Once logged in, I get an image of the App Store screen, but I have no cursor control and cannot input anything. After a minute or so the system automatically shuts down. Tried multiple times - always the same. I have logged on in safe mode - my email works ok like this and I can also do google searches, so Safari seems to be working. The App Store log says that I have updated to Safari 11.03 and this is also confirmed in the "About Safari" summary available under the "Safari" tab in the menu. I can only access the Timeline app in safe mode, or to be more precise I can access the first screen but I cannot restore as none of my back ups seem available in this mode. I tried using the administrator account (in safe mode) but I have no more back up facilities there than in my normal account.

My instinct is that the Safari update did not properly complete and so I need to uninstall/reinstall Safari 11.03 but I have no idea how to do this. I have searched for Safari updates on the App store and in iTunes. The update is not available under "updates in my App store as my Macbook obviously thinks it is already done. I am not technically minded. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix? Not sure if I should phone Apple Support or locate an Apple genius. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

JKDr

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:14 PM

The problem is more likely a corrupt preference or cache file causing Safari to stop working or some third-party software you have installed which isn't compatible. This would be why all works in Safe Mode but not normally. Read the link to learn what is disabled in safe mode. This will be hints of what to look for.

Quit Safari. Preferences and cache files can be found in /Home/Library/ folder. Move these to the Trash but do not Empty. Restart the computer in safe mode then restart it normally. See if Safari is OK.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 2:14 PM in response to JKDr

The problem is more likely a corrupt preference or cache file causing Safari to stop working or some third-party software you have installed which isn't compatible. This would be why all works in Safe Mode but not normally. Read the link to learn what is disabled in safe mode. This will be hints of what to look for.

Quit Safari. Preferences and cache files can be found in /Home/Library/ folder. Move these to the Trash but do not Empty. Restart the computer in safe mode then restart it normally. See if Safari is OK.

Mar 4, 2018 4:49 PM in response to sberman

Hello

Yes sorry I mean Time Machine (I have something else unrelated called Timeline). I realise the latest Safari version is 11.03 - I upgraded to that last night via the App store, but I now seem to have a problem. I thought that maybe (like with Windows) I should uninstall the update and redo it so I was searching for the 11.03 software update (in the App store and iTunes) but this does not seem to be the Apple approach. Anyway, the previous respondent (Kappy) has suggested a corruption in my other files which I will investigate.

Thanks

Jean

Mar 5, 2018 8:05 AM in response to JKDr

Since it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Mar 5, 2018 2:40 PM in response to Kappy

I moved all the cache files to trash and most of the preference files too - my system would not allow me to move the entire folder as it said that it was linked to OS X, so I moved all of them except those in the "host" folder where most of the file names included the word "apple". I restarted in safe mode and then again in normal mode. No change; the problems persisted.

I followed the procedure recommended in your safe mode link to remove all incompatible logins. I had 3 logins in my list and removed all 3. (2 of these referred to 3rd party software I no longer use so I moved those apps to trash. The 3rd login referred to iTunesHelper). Still no change.

Do you have any further advice what I might try now please? Should I bite the bullet and reinstall or locate an Apple Genius? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

jkdr

Macbook Pro Problem after updating to Safari 11.03

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.