Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K monitors & MacBook Air

I've got a MacBook Air (Early 2015) and need an external 4K monitor for it. Monitors suddenly got complicated. Earlier there was just VGA and DVI. VGA is probably all but obsolete, but now monitors come with DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI interfaces. And the MacBook Air has a Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) port. What do I need to buy? I've got an Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter that I was using with a borrowed monitor. Must I get a DVI monitor? Can I use a DisplayPort monitor or an HDMI monitor? Cables can be purchased to convert from Thunderbolt to DisplayPort or Thunderbolt to HDMI. Will they work with the MacBook Air?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 4:16 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 4, 2018 9:14 PM in response to kaz-k

I'm concerned about the adapter. Previously I was using a $99 dual-link DVI adapter from Apple. Is a $9 Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter from Amazon all I need? (For a monitor with HDMI input.) Apple sells a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter for $35. With such a large disparity in adapter prices, I worry that there is something I don't know about adapters.

4K monitors & MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.