Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4 year old ipad

Why can't I update my iPad? My phone sent an update for iOS 10 but my iPad has iOS 9 and it says there is no update. My apps keep closing telling me I need to update to the new version.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.4

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 5:07 PM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2018 6:05 PM in response to suefromsarnia

I use an iPad 2 and I am not having the issues you are having.

Even though you are getting app update messages, the apps should still work as it always has UNLESS these apps are games.

If games, then maybe the older versions are crashing.

All of my older apps, on my iPad 2, all still work and function as they should.

Even some on my older single player games!

There are STILL lots of apps that are currently being updated under iOS 9.3.5.

Your iPad 2 is REALLY, as of NOW, 7 years old and its hardware is weak and underpowered.

To eliminate some issues that maybe iPad 2 related here is a checklist of things to try.

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh for apps that you think do not need data or Internet refreshing in the background OR just turn this OFF, globally for the entire iPad.

In Settings app, under General settings, Reset panel, at the right bottom of the list, Reset All Settings.

In Settings app (NOT from the iOS Control Panel) turn OFF Bluetooth when not using any Bluetooth devices.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

Make sure you aren't running scads and scads of background apps in the iOS App Switcher.

If you are, you need to quit the bulk of these background running apps by tap and hold a finger on an app window in the switcher and slide your finger upwards to quit an app. You should be able to use more than one finger to quit more than one app window simultaneously.

Also, make sure you don’t have scads and scads of active website tabs running in the web browser.

If you do, greatly reduce the amount of active website tabs your web browser.

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-10344

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together. Do not simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

See if any and all of this helps with your iPad 2 issues/performance.

Good Luck to You!

Mar 4, 2018 6:18 PM in response to suefromsarnia

suefromsarnia wrote:

That's too bad, can't afford a new Apple, guess I'll have to go with a cheaper android 🙁

A cheaper Android device means you give up the security of iOS, the iOS App Store ecosystem and you will have to deal with REAL viruses and REAL malware in Google AndroidLand!

As of two days ago, Android just underwent a very MAJOR personal data breach malware, the likes that has never happened before in the sordid history of Google Amdoid.

http://macdailynews.com/2018/03/02/new-android-malware-records-ambient-audio-fir es-off-premium-rate-texts-and-harvests-f…

So, you may want to reconsider purchasing a new Apple iPad.

You can purchase a new 2017, 32 GBs iPad 5th generation from Apple for $329 U.S.D.

You can purchase one of these cheaper from Apple’s refurb store for $279 U.S.D. and carries all of Apple’s warranties like a new model and you can still apply for AppleCare+ within the first 60 days of purchase, also.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FPGT2LL/A/Refurbished-iPad-Wi-Fi-32GB-Gold

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

4 year old ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.