Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New user "test" account just showed up

2017 Retina 5K iMac running High Sierra 10.13.3

I woke my computer from sleep this evening. Normally, waking from sleep presents me with a screen to enter my user password. It normally doesn't give me an option to choose a user account because I'm the only user on my computer.

Tonight, I was presented with two user accounts to choose from: mine and one called "test". I checked with my family, and no one's been on the computer or would have messed with any user account settings.

Is there something in a High Sierra update that would have done this? Has someone hacked into my computer from outside (through my home wifi network) or something? Is there anything in MacOS that would explain this?

I've already deleted the "test" account in Users & Groups and turned off the "Guest" network on our Time Capsule (the one that didn't need a password), but I'm really worried here. Anyone have any ideas how this could have happened -- at least, reasons that would be benign?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 6:37 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 5, 2018 9:41 AM in response to MLMmusic

Is there something in a High Sierra update that would have done this? Has someone hacked into my computer from outside (through my home wifi network) or something? Is there anything in MacOS that would explain this?

Nothing in macOS creates that Account. I don't want to alarm you but the unauthorized intrusion you describe is a possibility, and the only one I can think of. Obviating that possibility requires security on a variety of levels: physical security of your Macs as well as the network equipment it uses, secure wireless network passwords and device passwords, secure Apple ID credentials, etc. If you have neighbors, then you have the possibility of eavesdroppers. It's a very broad topic.

New user "test" account just showed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.