Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS freezes after login

Dear community,

on my 2015 12-inch MacBook, running the newest MacOS, I got the following problem:

After I enter my password, there is the normal loading bar appearing, which first progresses normally, but then goes very slowly. At some point the loading bar is full, but then nothing happens... I left it at that point for hours, but no change.

I had that problem a few times before in the last weeks (I think it either started after I installed Windows on the Mac via Bootcamp or after the last MacOS update), but there I could resolve it by starting in recovery mode (with option + R) once. After doing that, things worked fine again for a while.

But if I try starting in recovery mode now, I just get the Apple symbol and a loading bar... and also here the loading bar slowly fills up, but then stops once it's full and nothing happens. I.e., I cannot even get into the recovery mode.

Two facts that might be helpful to know:

1. I can still boot into Windows on the Mac without any problems (in fact, I am writing this on my MacBook in Windows right now)

2. My battery is on 'service battery' status and has made severe problems recently (randomly shutting down, not starting without a charging cable despite there being more than forty percent battery, etc).

Does someone have an idea on how to proceed?

Thanks!

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 9:48 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 5, 2018 8:09 AM in response to tuerklinke

Hey everyone,

for now I solved the problem.

If you have the same issue: I solved it by first resetting the SMC as described here (How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support) and then starting in recovery mode once. In recovery mode I did the disk utility, first aid program. Then I restarted normally and it worked again!

MacOS freezes after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.