Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad wont activate - Wont connect to wi-fi or even hotspot. Please help

My iPad is the first generation - I need to reset it to give it away BUT I'm assuming because I havent used it for a few months, Its now wanting me to activate.

I cannot activate due to error connecting to wi-fi

Also wont connect via my iPhone hotspot, tried deleting wi-fi known networks and adding again - didn't work

I've downloaded itunes and tried to access via the app but I cant get past the activate..... Please help

iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular, Needs to be updated

Posted on Mar 4, 2018 11:00 PM

1 reply

Mar 7, 2018 4:40 PM in response to tanyafromspringvale

Hi tanyafromspringvale,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're trying to access your iPad in order to erase it and give it away, but you're being prompted to activate the iPad first and are unable to do so due to a Wi-Fi connection error. I know how important it is to be sure your information is removed from your iPad before you give it away; I'm happy to help. Since you're having trouble activating and you'd ultimately like to erase the iPad, I'd suggest following these steps to remove the device from your iCloud account:
  1. Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
  4. Select the device that you want to remove from iCloud.
  5. If necessary, click Erase [device].
  6. Click Remove from Account.
Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock

Then use these steps to put the iPad in recovery mode and restore it to factory settings:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

After this process is complete your information will be removed and the iPad will be ready to be set up and activated by the person you're giving it to.

Best Regards.

My iPad wont activate - Wont connect to wi-fi or even hotspot. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.