Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my GPS always on?

Hey all,

Wednesday last week (5 days ago), I noticed the little GPS arrow in the status bar appeared and has not yet disappeared. It is draining my battery like crazy! (around 3 hours medium usage and around 5 hours if I just let the phone sit there and do nothing).

I have tried the following:

- Ensured every app in Location Services was still "Only While Using"... Didn't work

- Turned every app in Location Services to "Never"... Didn't work

- Turned off every system services in Location Services... Didn't work

- Turned off Location Services entirely... Didn't work

- Turned off Mobile Roaming... Didn't work

- I even put my phone into Flight Mode, and the little GPS arrow still persisted and still drained my battery however in about 8 hours instead of 3-5.

I have also reset it a bunch of times (obviously).

iPhone 7Plus, running iOS11.2.6

TIA

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:59 AM

The little arrow is not GPS per se, but Location Services (GPS/cellular/Wifi/Bluetooth). The icon is solid when in use, and open (outline) when active but not in use. If you turn off Location Services entirely, the arrow should disappear.

You can check apps that recently used LS in Settings>Privacy>Location Services, coded with arrows next to the app names, color-coded as indicated at the bottom.

You can check battery-draining apps on the list in Settings>Battery, sorted by percentage in the last 24 hours or the last 7 days.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 1:59 AM in response to DigitalDisguise

The little arrow is not GPS per se, but Location Services (GPS/cellular/Wifi/Bluetooth). The icon is solid when in use, and open (outline) when active but not in use. If you turn off Location Services entirely, the arrow should disappear.

You can check apps that recently used LS in Settings>Privacy>Location Services, coded with arrows next to the app names, color-coded as indicated at the bottom.

You can check battery-draining apps on the list in Settings>Battery, sorted by percentage in the last 24 hours or the last 7 days.

Why is my GPS always on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.