Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro uses only one monitor - internal or external...

I'm at my work where through a USB hub power, monitors, mouse and keyboard are all connected through one USB-C cable to my Macbook Pro (2016, 15-inch, touch bar, High Sierra).

When I plug in the cable, the Macbook detects the external monitor and behaves accordingly: windows move to that screen, my mouse can move to it, display settings all behave as if the second monitor is working fine. However, the external monitor itself does not turn on, and does not detect a laptop being connected at all.

When I close the lid of my Macbook, the external monitor DOES work immediately.

- The problem is probably not with the monitor, for my colleagues (using various laptops and OS's including the same as me) it works fine

- Sometimes, both monitors do work, after a series of trial-and-error turning the Macbook on and off again, unplugging the cable and plugging it back in, switching USB ports etc.

- The problem occurs for all external monitors

- When I plug in the cable, the Macbook is powered (so it's not a measure to preserve power)

- Problem occurred before updating to High Sierra and still does

- Mirroring displays often, but not always, works... If I turn 'mirror displays' off, the problem is back again.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? I'd primarily like to find out whether it's a hardware or software problem.

Message was edited by: margotteresa

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), null

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:41 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Macbook Pro uses only one monitor - internal or external...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.