Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra won't install

Hi,

So recently I've decided to download High Sierra from El Capitan ()MacBook Pro model: Mid 2012). Since this is a pretty old model with a old HDD, I decided to try this new system out. So at first I downloaded and waited a bit for it to install - naturally it took it's time and it got to the phase where the Macbook restarts. The Mac booted up but the install was taking ages to do so I decided to switch the laptop off and try the next day. However this seemed to do some serious damage to my HDD because when I tried to load up my Mac it wouldn't go past the bootup (the loading bar would take ages to load then just switch off). I decided to go on Disk Utility to fix the HDD but I kept getting this error message (something about unmount).

Since the HDD was old I was going to change it to an SSD anyways. All of my stuff was backed up so it was fine. I changed the HDD to an SSD - this SSD i used last year for another Macbook (I only used it for a few days for work). The replacement of the HDD to the SSD was exceptional - there were no issues at hand. I booted up the Mac and started using my laptop for a few hours. Since this had El Capitan, I decided to go for High Sierra once again.

The same process of the installation happened again, however I left home during the boot up phase and the laptop died when I was out (I unplugged the charger before I left because the battery was full). I tried booting up the laptop once I plugged in the charger and was waiting for the installation to continue, however i was introduced to a folder icon with a "?". I tried booting up in recovery mode and i tried repairing the SSD this time round but I still got the error message about un mounting as I did before.

This was frustrating so I called Apple Support and the guy walked me through completely erasing the Disk and re-installing the OS. The OS has been "installing" for over 12 hours now- it says "8 minutes remaining" and has been stuck like that throughout the night.

What is going on?

Sorry for the long thread.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 3:14 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

High Sierra won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.