Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mismatch between selected email and displayed email, and other Mail wonkiness.

Over the last week or so I've been experiencing a lot of issues with Mail and my iCloud email.

There's been a mismatch between the selected email in the middle column and the displayed email on the left.

I've also seemed to have lost several emails that I know I never deleted… except maybe they got deleted when deleting some other message that was being mismatched as above.

After restarting and app and the computer several times, I tried "rebuild mailbox" which seemed to temporarily fix the issue, but only temporarily. I also noticed that when I did this some emails in my inbox just disappeared, which now has me concerned for my entire email history.

Please see the attached screenshot.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 4:59 AM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2018 6:24 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

I mentioned in my original post that I did rebuild mailbox, which seemed to make some problems worse.

Your second link redirects to a page about rebuilding the Spotlight index.

Mail.app seems to be having other issues, like displaying some HTML formatted emails in plain text (they display fine on my iPhone).

Is there a way I can just reset Mail.app completely? Return it to an original state and just set up my iCloud and other mail services as new (all my emails should be on the respective servers).

Mismatch between selected email and displayed email, and other Mail wonkiness.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.