Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Plus phone number unknown

I recently changed the SIM card in my iPhone 6SPlus. I have tried all the recommendations that I found to overcome the unknown ID phone number on my phone. It is causing issues in iMessage and other apps. Please, please help!!!

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 4:51 AM

9 replies

Mar 5, 2018 6:00 AM in response to Community User

The unknown phone number is in Settings>Phone>My Number

also in Settings>Apple ID it shows my email address, not my phone number

in Settings>Apple ID>Name, Phone Numbers, Email it displays the old SIM card phone number for iMessage and FaceTime number. I have tried to change it by editing reachable at...but it isn‘t an option.

i have turned off iMessage and FaceTim, removed and replaced the SIM card, restarted the phone, tried through my Apple account.

Help would be greatly appreciate. I have never experienced this problem before and I have succ changed SIM cards before.

Mar 6, 2018 11:40 PM in response to gigimore16

To be honest, in this case, I would raise an Apple Support request or schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. It appears you've tried all the common steps that other people have used to resolve this same issue but without any success.

Mar 26, 2018 12:59 PM in response to gigimore16

I encountered the same after resetting settings, having problems with Files app. The following steps helped me to get phone number back:

1. Go to Settings->Your name (Apple ID, iCloud, etc)->Name, phone numbers, e-mail

2. Press Edit over Contact details section

3. Press Add e-mail or phone at the bottom of the section

4. Choose Add phone number

5. Add your phone and press Next (it might require SMS confirmation, I don't remember)

6. Your phone number should appear in the Contact details section now

7. Choose added phone number in Facetime and Message settings. It should be available there now. But Settings -> phone is still Unknown.

8. Restart iPhone. Settings->phone should show your phone number.

BR,

Dmitry

Mar 26, 2018 1:39 PM in response to altbregin

Thank you very much for your input. I tried these steps before and was able to get my phone number to appear in the Contact details section but it did not appear in FaceTime and Message settings. I restarted my phone and my phone number is still unknown. I even got a new SIM card which helped in some apps (whatsapp) but not with my original problem.

Thanks again.

Mar 5, 2018 6:17 AM in response to gigimore16

In Settings -> Phone -> My Number, can you not enter your new phone number? If so, do that and reboot the phone. Then turn iMessage and FaceTime off and back on again and see if that fixes it.

iPhone 6S Plus phone number unknown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.