Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 11.2.6 iphone is deleting some text messages automatically

Hello.

I have an iphone 6s plus, running 11.2.6. & I switch my phone off every evening.

The problem I am seeing is:

I am sent a text message whilst the phone is off.

When I switch the phone back on, the message(s) notification appears on the lock screen.

I enter my passcode to access the phone.

The red new message button is displayed on the messaging app icon.

If I open the app (which seems to take a longer time than normal) there are no new unread message(s).

If I don't open the app, the red new message button disappears.

So the new message which arrived ok and was displayed on the lockscreen is being automatically deleted by the phone. This may be hard to believe but it has happened on 3 occasions recently.
I have tried resetting the network settings but the problem persists.

Otherwise the phone is working normally and when switched on I can send/receive text messages fine.

thanks for any advice.

John

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 5:37 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2018 7:55 AM in response to johnfromengland

Hey there, johnfromengland.

It appears that, when you turn on your iPhone 6s Plus, you may see a notification that you've received a text message while the device was off. The issue is, there are no new messages to read. I'm happy to help.

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- First, force close the Messages application if it's open, then -- Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Restart your iPhone. Once it's returned to the Home screen, turn off your iPhone and have a friend send a text to you. See if the message is available once you unlock your phone.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your iPhone didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your iPhone, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Mar 17, 2018 7:57 AM in response to djungle

Thanks for the replies.

The background to this problem is:

I previously did a (shift/restore) of iOS 11.2.1 (using the ipsw firmware file) in iTunes. Then ota update to 11.2.6. In addition to the SMS problem, The other issue I encountered was that after the 11:2:1 restore all my music disappeared and I was unable to get it back via iCloud.

I have now done an iTunes ipsw shift/restore of 11.2.6 and restored from my iCloud backup. My music is back and currently no repetition of the SMS issue but need to wait a bit longer to be sure.

If you're having the SMS problem I suggest you do a clean install of 11.2.6 and then restore from a backup.

Cheers

John

IOS 11.2.6 iphone is deleting some text messages automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.