Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google/Safari account misrecognition

As of last week Safari is confusing my two google accounts, a work one and a personal one. This has worked fine for 2-3 years and but suddenly started last week.

I login to one account, then logout, then login to other and then logout saving the passwords in the keychain, but when I then try and login to the first account again it remembers the password for the second account and then I am prompted to change the password for the second account in the key chain and I am then stuck with the password with one or the other.

I reported this to my local IT support who have verified it. I am using Safari 11.0.3.

It only occurs with the exact combination of google accounts on safari; other accounts, e.g. twitter, work fine on safari, google accounts work fine on other browsers. I don't know whether this is a Safari issue or a google issue.

This is extremely frustrating.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10, iOS indpdt, verified by IT support

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:45 AM

No. I hadn't modified the keychain before, but I did this time. I removed all google cookies from Safari, then quit. Then remove all google accounts from keychain. Restart safari. Google mail, login with first account. All fine. Logout. Login with second account, when I ok the password it prompts me to change the password for the other account. Now I can only store 1 password for google accounts. The cookie seems to be prompting for the wrong account.

Precisely google and safari seem to have this problem. Which one made a change 10 days ago I do not know, but one of them did.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 8:45 AM in response to 2jamie

No. I hadn't modified the keychain before, but I did this time. I removed all google cookies from Safari, then quit. Then remove all google accounts from keychain. Restart safari. Google mail, login with first account. All fine. Logout. Login with second account, when I ok the password it prompts me to change the password for the other account. Now I can only store 1 password for google accounts. The cookie seems to be prompting for the wrong account.

Precisely google and safari seem to have this problem. Which one made a change 10 days ago I do not know, but one of them did.

Mar 5, 2018 9:12 AM in response to Eric Root

Cunning plan, alas no.

So I have logged in as both, but interestingly only one instance has been created in the keychain. I duplicated that excepting the account names and added it. I couldn't change the keychain to 'Local items', it is 'login'. I then quit safari and restart. Login to first account, all fine, recalls password. I then try second, it recalls password for first, ignoring my new entry and same problem recurs (prompts to change the password for first account).

I *think* keychain is operating correctly, it is working fine for other internet accounts. Something is making safari ask for the wrong account.

Google/Safari account misrecognition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.