Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID

I sold my IPad to a friend and she's been able to use it fine. She is not very tech savvy and asked me to help her with an app. I deleted the app and went to reinstall but she couldn't remember her apple id password. We tried so many times that it locked us out. I went to set up the new password but the email account that it sends the information to is no longer active. So I can't recover the email account and I don't know how to reset the apple ID password. Anyone have any clues? she has a different gmail account that she uses on her mobile and IPad that is not the apple ID.

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 5:47 AM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2018 5:51 AM in response to darnellfromalabaster

You (the original owner) can take it with the original sales receipt to an Apple Store and ask if they will reset it for you.

iCloud: Activation Lock - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201365 - This is a security feature to deter re-selling of stolen devices.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock (formerly: Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account) - https://support.apple.com/HT201441 - If an activation lock was put on a device, only the owner of the account that applied the lock can remove it.

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.