Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for iphone X shuts down with 4% battery remaining?

I recently bought an iPhone X which has iOS 11 but as soon as the battery goes to 4 percent it turns off and when I replug the charger it turns on starts charging from 4 percent. Is it normal?

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 7:45 AM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 10:17 AM in response to y_p_w

Yes the shutdown is proper with a white ring then the phone shuts off

Isn’t it possible that the battery calibration is out?User uploaded filebecause when I charge it to 100 percent then it goes all the way to 1 percent and I partial charge a lot. The battery life app says that I have 0 battery wear I have attached a screenshot as well

I’m worried since in Pakistan we don’t have proper Apple services and that my brand new iPhone is not faulty.

Mar 5, 2018 9:15 AM in response to zulqifal

Not really. However, the biggest thing about battery capacity is that it's only an estimate based on a model of how it is supposed to act. Most of the time when something like what you report happens, it's with an older device with a severely depleted battery. At that point the model may not be as good at predicting the actual battery capacity. Then it sees things like an unexpected voltage drop and then readjusts the estimated capacity.

How are you seeing this? Is there an orderly shutdown similar to a manual power-down? Or does it just suddenly turn black? The latter would be really bad and I would recommend getting it evaluated by an Apple Store (or perhaps and AASP if that's your only option). I'd recommend an Apple Store since they don't charge for any evaluation, but I do understand that it may not be convenient and/or there are people in countries where there aren't any.

Mar 5, 2018 10:35 AM in response to zulqifal

That could be a problem although I'm sure there are Apple authorized service providers in Pakistan. However, if it's a gray market phone (I certainly understand those are very common in South Asia) that creates issues since they will likely refuse to service one.

Battery calibration usually won't be an issue with a new phone with a new battery. I'm not sure what to tell you since it's going to likely cost you something to take it to an AASP.

Is it normal for iphone X shuts down with 4% battery remaining?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.