Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high sierra freezes on install

Hello, I’m trying to install high Sierra on my Mac mini (currently running Sierra) downloads installs and then gets stuck on a screen with the apple logo, left it over night, still there in the morning ! Any ideas, there’s bundels of free space on the drive I basicly reformated the HD and installed a fresh copy of Sierra os to help as I was updating from El Capitan, any ideas..?

Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), mid 2012

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:03 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 10:28 AM in response to Miller-time

Give this a try:

Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch

If possible backup your files.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
  2. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
  3. When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
  4. Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  5. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  6. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
  7. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  8. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Mar 5, 2018 10:42 AM in response to Miller-time

When I install a new OS over another OS I basically check that the current system is OK. Regardless many do not agree with the things I do (I found out here) in order to keep my machine "clear", I:

- check data structure on the disk with Disk Warrior (Apple's Disk Repair is, IMHO, not so efficient)

- clear logs and caches

- reset PRAM

I have noted that I 'm not affected bythe problems other experience after major but also minor updates except, of course, of code bugs. Especially data structure integrity and cache cleaning is a must for having a fast and reliable machine.

Just a note: you've posted a question with very few details about your machine's configuration. Please, check in the forum how posts should be written.

Good luck.

Mar 5, 2018 11:12 AM in response to Miller-time

Well... is all but a good system for High Sierra (low RAM and slow HD) but this shouldn't crash HS's install, at least you should have a very slow system later (if I was in you I would place 8 Gbytes at least and an SSD or, why not, an SSHD).

Anyway, if you're able to boot from Sierra... try booting from Recovery partition and check the data structure via Disk Utility (Here is called S.O.S, dont' know on a different language - sjould be Disk Repair in English). If OK (but not so sure as I've found is not so reliable as Disk Warrior), restart back to Sierra, download Sierra Cache Cleaner and perform a deep and complete Cache Cleaning. Retry to install HS.

high sierra freezes on install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.