Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my icons disappear on my desktop and how do I restore them? The files are still showing in Finder.

I am on a Macbook Pro Yosemite 10.10.5. My desktop files/icons have suddenly disappeared. The files are still showing in Finder. How do I make them reappear on my desktop view?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10, 10.10.5

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 8:41 AM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2018 1:31 PM in response to Bubs58

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.desktop.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Why did my icons disappear on my desktop and how do I restore them? The files are still showing in Finder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.