Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Quick-hide desktop icons?

I like a clean desktop and for several years have used an app called TinkerTool to hide/unhide all the icons. It is a simple app which doesn't mess with the OS but just drops out to toggle a command line option. Quite by accident, I recently discovered that, when no apps are open, the standard key combo of Cmd+Q also hid all the icons, as if it was quitting Finder. Clicking Finder in the Dock restored the icons. Since this was quicker than launching a third-party app and allowed me to remove TinkerTool from my Dock, I thought this was a nifty little feature I would use a lot.

But it ain't. Mostly it doesn't work. Sometimes it does, but I can't predict when. Does anyone know whether this is an actual High Sierra feature? A bug? Does anyone have knowledge about the conditions under which it works? Is it dangerous?

Thanks.

David

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), null

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Dhabercom In response to Dhabercom

This appears to be the equivalent to running ‘defaults write com.apple.Finder QuitMenuItem 1’ and ‘killall Finder’ in terminal to activate a quit option, then Command+Q initiates the quit, hiding your items. This is harmless and if you find it helpful, I see no reason not to do it.

Mar 5, 2018 9:26 AM in response to 2399 In response to 2399

On an additional note, if you find yourself wanting to remove this quit option from your finder application, simply run ‘defualts write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -book false’ followed by ‘killall Finder’ and relaunch Finder to reverse the setting.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Mar 5, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Dhabercom In response to Dhabercom

This appears to be the equivalent to running ‘defaults write com.apple.Finder QuitMenuItem 1’ and ‘killall Finder’ in terminal to activate a quit option, then Command+Q initiates the quit, hiding your items. This is harmless and if you find it helpful, I see no reason not to do it.

Mar 5, 2018 9:23 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 5, 2018 9:26 AM in response to 2399 In response to 2399

On an additional note, if you find yourself wanting to remove this quit option from your finder application, simply run ‘defualts write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -book false’ followed by ‘killall Finder’ and relaunch Finder to reverse the setting.

Mar 5, 2018 9:26 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Mar 5, 2018 9:29 AM in response to 2399 In response to 2399

I am not at all experienced in running command line options, so I am always hesitant to try. Is there a way so set up something so that a particular option, such as you described in your first reply, will execute automatically on boot-up?

Thanks.

David

Mar 5, 2018 9:29 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 9:43 AM in response to Dhabercom In response to Dhabercom

This is a lot more complicated than you would expect. In short, you would need to assign a script to a launchd service, but it’s a lot of messing around and beyond the scope of this community. If you’re serious about enabling this, I would suggest asking about it on Stackoverflow.

Mar 5, 2018 9:43 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 10:32 AM in response to 2399 In response to 2399

Interesting, you could do that and you can make the terminal command a single line of code:

write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -book false && killall Finder

But why not just keep all your Desktop icons in a folder at the top level of your Documents and keep it in your Dock?

Mar 5, 2018 10:32 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Dhabercom

Question: Quick-hide desktop icons?