Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio OK in Finder but cut off in FCPX

This is a new one on me...
I'm re-editing an old project in FCPX 10.4. It was originally edited with FCP 7 but I've edited it since then in FCPX and it was OK. Now though, one of the clips in the timeline has the audio cut off mid-sentence. When I locate the clip in Finder, it plays fine - all the way through.

I deleted the preferences, re-booted the mac (Mac Pro - Late 2013 running 10.13.3) but no difference. The screen grab shows the cut-off audio waveform in the timeline with an identical clip above it. (I dragged the second clip there directly from Finder).

Any ideas will be very welcome!

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 9:16 AM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 10:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hello Luis, thanks for your help.

My apologies, I should have included the details of the clip in my OP.

The file is XDCAM-EX (shot in Sept 2008) and the audio is 48 kHz. I opened the clip with MPEG Streamclip and exported the audio as AIFF at 48 kHz. It then imported back into the project fine, but as you know, this shouldn't be necessary.
If it was just happening in the timeline, I'd assume the project was corrupted, but as I mentioned before, it's the same when I play the clip in the browser - quite worrying.

Mar 5, 2018 11:20 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Now I think about it, I've seen this on other clips in this project, but I assumed I had caused it somehow.

I'm trying to remember what it was in FCP7 that enabled you to export just the clips in the project (with handles if required). Bad idea for me - I lost a lot of useful stuff using that. It wasn't the cause of this though, because the material is still in the original footage - just that FCPX has somehow lost it, and even dragging the clip in with finder still doesn't get the material back.

Why would it only clip the ends off - why not some audio in the middle or at the beginning of the clip?

Very strange.

Audio OK in Finder but cut off in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.