Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated Kernel Panics MacBook Pro: Dx protocol update

To Kappy and all with helpful suggestions over past while.

Background: My mid 2014 MBP was running OS 10.10.5 Yosemite when repeated kernel panics started. Went through all diagnostic and fix protocols up to completely reformatting hard drive. Did this many times. Could always boot in Safe Mode and run generally run (the panics were so frequent, and so pervasive my machine nearly went out the window). I don't *think* I had a KP in Safe mode, but honestly, I lost track.

That it would run in Safe Mode made me think it wasn't necessarily hardware. I posted KP reports here, including Linc Davis script results and an Etrecheck. I have few third party software apps and went through and identified and cleared out kexts unrelated to those few apps. The **only** change that preceded these kernel panics was the installation of Malwarebyes and, yes, MacKeeper. That's when it all started and yet a complete sweep of those apps did NOT stop the problem.

Given when the KPs were occurring when trying to run in normal mode--i.e. immediately after login--made me think filing hard drive but no other signs. What does that make you think?

Eventually I got to reformatting the drive and installing OS 10.13.3 High Sierra. That was three days ago. No sign of problems now (yet?).

Question: Was Yosemite known to have weakness? I'd actually reinstalled it at one point in the troubleshoot and problems persisted.

Ever heard of some kind of hardware failure being forestalled by reformatting HD and reinstalling OS? That is, wondering if it could still be a hardware issue just lying in wait . . .

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 9:50 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 7, 2018 5:45 PM in response to effleess

Could you post a few of the most recent kernel panic reports? Sometimes they can be very helpful, and sometimes not so much. But until we get to see them, we cannot tell.

Kernel Panic reports: Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder -> /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2546>

<http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553>

The panic report should have "panic" in the file name.

Mar 5, 2018 10:04 AM in response to effleess

effleess wrote:

I have few third party software apps and went through and identified and cleared out kexts unrelated to those few apps. The **only** change that preceded these kernel panics was the installation of Malwarebyes and, yes, MacKeeper. That's when it all started and yet a complete sweep of those apps did NOT stop the problem.

Kernel extensions do not have the same kinds of protections that regular apps enjoy. Different kernel extensions can interact with other extensions and cause all kinds of problems. Individually, the extensions may work fine. Is could be trouble only when they are combined.

Manually removing low-level system modifications like kernel extensions is very difficult. I suggest you post the output from your most recent EtreCheck report so we can see if any parts are left over.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free to download and use at first, it will eventually ask you to buy a license. There are also other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

Mar 5, 2018 5:37 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks. I will do that. I don't think anything is left over since I completely reformatted my hard drive. It will be interesting to compare the before and after Etrecheck.

Before resorting to that, I did a line by line check of loaded kexts and I if I didn't know what it was, I stopped and looked it up. I was scrupulous. For instance, at some point I had installed Soundflower and a driver did keep showing up. It hadn't caused a problem prior and even unloading it didn't help. No matter, it's gone. There should be **nothing** on here at the moment that I don't know about. I've just reinstalled my Firefox and the Adobe products I use. That's all. So far, so good.

Thanks for your Etrecheck script. It produces a nice report and provided a good reminder to configure my Time Machine. I will post the new report. Like I say, it will make a good study for me and for anyone interested in such things

Mar 7, 2018 6:47 PM in response to effleess

Chasing down your previous kernel panic posts, I think you have a hardware problem.

I suggest you make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple store.

Have them run their overnight diagnostics (make sure you have a backup before you got; or even better 2 backups, using 2 different backup utilities, going to 2 different backup devices).

Make sure you show them the kernel panic reports.

Repeated Kernel Panics MacBook Pro: Dx protocol update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.