Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I restore the "Use as Defaults" button?

Greetings,

In an effort to change the default view options for all my Finder windows, including windows I had previously changed, I ran the following command in Terminal:

sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm {} \;

Apparently, that broke something, because now the "Use as Defaults" button in the view options window is grayed out, regardless of which directory I'm in or which view options I select. I'm absolutely stumped.

Running OS 10.13.3. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Mar 5, 2018 10:44 AM in response to reidfromdallas In response to reidfromdallas

You deleted the .DS_Store files where that information is stored. Try changing window size and position to cause a new .DS_Store file to be created. Possibly the Use as Defaults button will be usable.

Mar 5, 2018 10:44 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: reidfromdallas

Question: How do I restore the "Use as Defaults" button?