Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my Macintosh HD drive to save files to its own desktop again?

Hi

I work a Mac Pro 4.1 with 4 internal and (2 external drives for backup by Time Machine). The 4 internal drives are startup drives with differ. systems: 10.6.8, 10.10.5, a. 10.11.6. Each drive I set up to save as stuff to their own desktop.

I just found that my orig. first Macintosh HD 10.6.8 drive saves to my other OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 drive.

By accident I must have changed a setting that does that.

I can not find that setting to change it back to have the Macintosh HD 10.6.8 drive save things to its own Desktop.

Example: On the Macintosh HD 10.6.8 drive using TextEdit I choose Save As then select the Macintosh HD/ desktop in devices. But the file is saved on my Yosemite drive!

Thank you for your time and patience.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 22 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 9:05 AM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 10:45 PM in response to Walter Wedler

When you open the Save As dialogue go to Export As and click the arrow on the right to open an expanded view for saving your files, you will now see the Sidebar where under Favourites which list things like Applications, Desktop, Documents etc, these locations are on the drive you are booted from. Under that you should see Devices which lists Drives attached to your Mac, from there you can navigate through the disks to where you may want to save files.

You have a great Mac, get to know it better.

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2018 2:08 PM in response to Walter Wedler

Yes so ok in Text Edit you don't see Export As you see Save As (other Apple apps have Export As) to the right of the you see a little arrow click that so you are on the expanded Save As dialogue with a sidebar as shown above.

Do you have anything listed under Favourites. If nothing is listed go back into Finder and open its Preferences, click on the Sidebar and select which items in Favourites you want to see. Now go back to Text Edit and select Save As, do the things you checked now appear in the Sidebar, if not take the cursor and hover it over the word Favourites, you should now see either the words Show or Hide appear to the right of Favourites, click show to see the list of Favourites you checked in the Finders Preferences. You should be able to see something like this.

User uploaded file

I have the same Mac, and it is great, but if you are still having problems then can you provide screenshots

so we can see what you are experiencing.

Mar 6, 2018 11:59 PM in response to Walter Wedler

Ok so if you are not willing to share screenshots to see if we can find a resolution to your problem then the only thing I can suggest is if you pose your question in the Snow Leopard forum, Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard you may get more of an audience.

To my memory I don't think the Save As dialogues have changed that much but I could be wrong I haven't used Snow Leopard in 5 years.

Mar 6, 2018 9:39 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Dear Eau Rouge

Thank you for your time and input.

I am afraid we both have to learn more about my "great Mac".

No matter how many arrows I click in my open Save As dialogue window,

besides Devices, Places, a. Search for the open sidebar has no Favorites or Tags.

And no "Export As" can be found in either the Save as window or in the TextEdit: File, Edit, Format, Window, Help menu above.

Mar 6, 2018 2:10 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi Eau Rouge

Not to expose clients names I won't send a screen shut of the Save as window.

(I don't have the time to blank out that info)

I think the confusion here is the difference of the TextEdit versions.

I am looking at an already expanded window of TextEdit version 1.6 (264) on OS X 10.6.8 which does not look anything like the window you are posting. Hence the missing choices I have. I do know how to choose where to save the text file too.

I was looking for some setting that prevents this to change. I want text and audio files always to save to the desktop of each drive and system I am booted on.

I appreciate your time and patience. Thank you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.