Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will changing my Apple ID affect family sharing?

I first created my Apple ID when I was just a kid, back when the first IPods came out. Over the years, I have continued using the same Apple ID/email address to set up a new device. Unfortunately I am unable to access the email I used so many years ago, so I have zero access to ICloud which is finally becoming a problem for me. I just ordered a new iPhone and when I get this phone, I was thinking about just setting up a brand new Apple ID instead of using my old inaccessible one..my problem is this...

Both of my kids are set up in Family Sharing with my current Apple ID being the parent account..if I create a new Apple ID and start fresh, will I be able to switch my kids accounts to family sharing under my new ID???

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 10:27 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 5, 2018 12:02 PM in response to cecily1991

You can disband the Family and set it up again.

Family Sharing - Leave

If you create a new Apple ID, rather than do a name change, you will loose access to all previous purchases as they will be tied to the old Apple ID. You also may lose access to some of your data if it is tied to your old ID. You can avoid this, and the Family Sharing problem, if you do a name change rather than create a new ID.

Apple ID Name Change

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Mar 5, 2018 12:08 PM in response to cecily1991

cecily1991 wrote:

I first created my Apple ID when I was just a kid, back when the first IPods came out. Over the years, I have continued using the same Apple ID/email address to set up a new device. Unfortunately I am unable to access the email I used so many years ago, so I have zero access to ICloud

Why do you have zero access to iCloud? What does your email address have to do with it?

If you know the e-mail and password for your Apple ID you can use it to access iCloud just like you can access other services like the iTunes and App Stores.

If the email address you are using is defunct, you can log in to http://appleid.apple.com and update to a new functional one.

But it has no bearing on your ability to access iCloud at all.

How will changing my Apple ID affect family sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.