Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am taking my desktop in to a non-Apple facility to add a new hard drive and RAM. How do I disable my admin password while the computer is in there?

I am taking my 8 year old desktop in to a non-Apple facility to add another hard drive and RAM memory. I am running OS 10.11.06. I have 2 questions:

1. How do I disable my admin password while the computer is in the shop so that the new hard drive and RAM can be added?

2. Once I have the computer at home can I reinstate my admin password?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2018 8:53 AM

There is no way to disable a password.

Hardware Repair - Keeping Confidential Data Safe

4 replies

Mar 12, 2018 8:59 AM in response to SpnlRetTrnr

Strictly speaking it should not be necessary to fully log in to do this work. A drive can be cloned to a new drive without booting and RAM is tested as part of the basic startup process. If somebody gets as far as seeing a login prompt then likely all repairs are successful. i can understand their maybe wanting to be able to log in should they need to troubleshoot. You could set up a non-administrator "maintenance" account with an easy password for this purpose.

I am taking my desktop in to a non-Apple facility to add a new hard drive and RAM. How do I disable my admin password while the computer is in there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.