Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade my mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

Hey, I have a mid-2012 MBP and I am considering whether it would be worth upgrading.

The laptop runs relatively well but unfortunately some of the keys on the keyboard stopped working due to liquid damage. I now use an external keyboard but it's getting annoying as I take my laptop to university and this is not really convenient. Apple said it would cost around £250 (~$350) to get the keyboard fixed.

Additionally, the battery is currently in the "Replace Soon" condition with a 1077 cycle count. It is not great but I get by as I usually have access to power.

The MacBook's details:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Storage 500 GB (I did not upgrade to SSD storage)

Suggestions? Should I keep it and fix it or should I spend the ~£1,300 and get the 2017 model?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.2.6, null

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:36 PM

Your quoted price of a new top case replacement is close to the price of a used mid-2012. I like mine but I’m realistic about what it’s worth in resale. I don’t think you would get much value in replacing it unless perhaps you’re willing to do it yourself with salvage parts. It’s not easy, but there are step by step guides that can help.

Obviously you’re willing to use it with an external keyboard, but of course a buyer may consider that an obstacle.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 2:36 PM in response to josephcy93

Your quoted price of a new top case replacement is close to the price of a used mid-2012. I like mine but I’m realistic about what it’s worth in resale. I don’t think you would get much value in replacing it unless perhaps you’re willing to do it yourself with salvage parts. It’s not easy, but there are step by step guides that can help.

Obviously you’re willing to use it with an external keyboard, but of course a buyer may consider that an obstacle.

Mar 5, 2018 11:41 AM in response to josephcy93

If you hope to sell a working computer then you need to replace the keyboard and battery. Without those, it is not worth much for trade-in. Your model is still supported which means you cannot buy parts from Apple. You will have to look on eBay or iFixIt.com for a keyboard that you can replace yourself. You can buy a good quality battery at OWC.

Mar 5, 2018 12:34 PM in response to josephcy93

If you feel it's worth it to you, it's worth it. The model you have is one of the most reliable ones. A new keyboard and it should last a couple more years. It's also easily upgradable with a new SSD should you fancy. Also, should you decide to replace the battery later on, it's so easy anyone can do it. (When purchasing, the number of the battery is A1322.)

Should I upgrade my mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.