Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are downloading large files from the App Store, Safari browser or terminal affecting overall system performance until they complete?

I'm noticing anytime I download large files from the App Store, through the Safari browser or via Terminal the whole system becomes uncomfortably slow until the download completes. My SSD checks out good (on MacBook Pro). Even a brand new install of the latest (10.13.3) doesn't seem to help. Files and applications are being downloaded to non-cloud synced folders. I do have Time Machine active on an external drive from time to time, but that doesn't seem to affect things either way. Anything else I should check out?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), null

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 12:08 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 3:01 PM in response to bridgesense

Probably. kernel_task is a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself. Find the problem and fix it. Read If kernel_task is using a large percentage of your Mac CPU - Apple Support.

A runaway kernel_task can be due to a number of factors, such as:

• a failed or disconnected temperature sensor
  • cooling system inefficiency (an inoperative exhaust fan on Macs so equipped, possibly clogged with dust, including the heat sink)
  • a worn out, missing, or non-Apple (user-installed) battery on portable Macs
  • similar hardware-specific causes including internal hardware additions or modifications, external USB and other connected devices, or the driver software required to use them.

Each of those possible causes is equally important and requires its own investigation.

If you can find no other explanation for its behavior, an SMC Reset is justified: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.

Mar 5, 2018 12:13 PM in response to bridgesense

Files downloading will result in disk activity which in turn prevents anything else happening until the disk activity stops. This is usually why you may sometimes see the colored beachball for short periods. This is usually intermittent which would not slow down the computer for extended periods like a full download. This assumes you have adequate RAM installed and are not running too many processes concurrently.

Are downloading large files from the App Store, Safari browser or terminal affecting overall system performance until they complete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.