Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail

My MAIL program will not display PREFERENCES. Instead, a blank block titled GENERAL appears. That blank block is unresponsive, except that it will close.

My MacBook Pro is over a year old. It has High Sierra with all updates current. Today, I re-installed the operating system but nothing changed for MAIL.

How do I fix this? DAVE

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:27 PM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2018 5:31 PM in response to jazzdolson

If you search High Sierra plist in your favorite search engine there is a solution for this problem. Seems the plist that holds the preferences file for mail is corrupt.

Once you delete it, after closing mail, the next time you open mail it should be created.

Prior to doing this I would back up any mail just to be sure .

Mar 5, 2018 9:28 PM in response to ZaZo

Thank you. I at least found the three-page discussions about everyone's similar problem. Your info helped in that regard. I'll try some of the recommended solutions tomorrow, but not being tech-savvy, I may just wait until Apple fixes it in subsequent upgrades (which they seem to do every week or so). MAIL seems to be working even if I can't access MAIL-preferences. I just thought it would be nice to have it working correctly. DAVE

Mar 9, 2018 3:11 PM in response to jazzdolson

Follow-up . . . I finally located the mail plist - took me days to find it. However, once I had it up and hi-lighted, the system (High Sierra) would not allow me to delete it, as was advised here and in other discussions I found).

I clicked-and-dragged it to the TRASH, but then it refused the procedure and said it was part of the Mac OS and could not be deleted.

Now what?

Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.