Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set the iPad keyboard display to omit the grey alternative characters shown at the top of each key?

I think this is new with iOS 11. IAC, it is distracting enough that I'd like to change it.

Is there a setting to have the iPad keyboard display ONLY show one character on a key? The only mode that appears to give a clean look now is when the #+= mode is in effect.

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:23 PM

4 replies

Mar 5, 2018 7:21 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks. Eventually I'll give it a look.

RIght now I'm in the stress-window of having updated both my computer (a new MacBook) and as a result migrating from Mavericks to High Sierra -- and then also updating the iPad iOS from 10 to 11 (and having a bunch of apps no longer working).

I had put off both upgrades and then (amazingly) decided to jump on both during the same week. <sigh> Surprising things continue to work unchanged and other suprising things have changed.

My current sanity has this in the "things I don't want different" at the current moment. But it does sound like something I will come to appreciate.

Can I set the iPad keyboard display to omit the grey alternative characters shown at the top of each key?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.