Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've had unauthorized changes made on my iMac

My operating system is High Sierra 10.13.3. Three (3) times now I have had to have my internet access accounts closed on my iMac computer. Does anyone know how someone is getting into my personal online accounts on my personal Mac? No one else uses it. I am very careful about sites and files. If there is some sort of malware in my mac computer, how can I get it out? Someone suggested ClamXav? I've been an Apple user since 2006 and I've never had any trouble until recently. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:10 PM

That does not mean the computer was accessed. That could easily be done with information found on the Internet. It may be easily accessed from previous purchase accounts in which the stolen information was kept. Losing one's identity this way is frequent.

If your home system is behind an Airport Extreme Base Station then it is like a built-in firewall. If no one can have physical access to your computer then that data is pretty secure.

Have you determined who has taken the information? Have you reported it to the local police?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 6:10 PM in response to tangomoon1114

That does not mean the computer was accessed. That could easily be done with information found on the Internet. It may be easily accessed from previous purchase accounts in which the stolen information was kept. Losing one's identity this way is frequent.

If your home system is behind an Airport Extreme Base Station then it is like a built-in firewall. If no one can have physical access to your computer then that data is pretty secure.

Have you determined who has taken the information? Have you reported it to the local police?

Mar 5, 2018 3:12 PM in response to tangomoon1114

If you are the only user then what makes you think unauthorized changes have been made? What are these unauthorized changes? How do you connect to the Internet? Does your computer connect to a hardware router? Is the router integrated with the cable modem or is it separate? Do you connect using Wi-Fi or Ethernet? If the former to you have a VPN to secure your Wi-Fi connection?

Mar 5, 2018 3:12 PM in response to Kappy

Last week I found out that someone hacked into my social security account and diverted it to another bank. Today I found that someone went into my car insurance account and changed my policy. Both of these incidents were handled by closing off my internet accounts. I have a cox connection with ethernet. I have an apple airport router. I don't know about the VPN?

Mar 5, 2018 6:11 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the thumbs up that is may not be my computer being accessed. That makes me feel better. On the social security issue, the money was diverted to a bank that refused it and it was sent back to social security. I got that back. Social security admin closed my online account telling me that would stop it? They know where it went but did not tell me. The auto insurer also closed my online account.

I have no idea who is doing this and why? None of these agencies have told me to call the police, I don't think they would do anything.

I really appreciated some feedback on this issue. For now I will let it go. BUT I will be watching more closely.

Thanks Kappy!

I've had unauthorized changes made on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.