Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not activate iPad

I was JUST using my iPad when suddenly the screen went white and now says “could not activate because the server cannot be reached”. What is going on?

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2018 5:11 PM

Hello Aehende,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your iPad displays "could not activate because the server cannot be reached". I'm happy to help.

I recommend following the steps below. The steps are specific to an iPhone, but they could help with your iPad as well.
  1. Check the list on the System Status page. If the box by iOS Device Activation isn't green, try to activate your iPhone later.
  2. If asked to enter your password as you activate your iPhone, enter the password. (A password prompt means that Activation Lock might be enabled in Find My iPhone.)
  3. Restart your iPhone.
  4. If you're using a cellular data connection, connect to a reliable Wi-Fi network instead.

If you still can't activate, here's how to activate your iPhone through iTunes instead:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Check that your computer has an Internet connection.
  3. Open iTunes on your computer. With the cable that came with your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your computer.
  4. Wait while iTunes detects and activates your iPhone:

If iTunes shows, "Set up as New" or "Restore from Backup," it means that iTunes activated your iPhone.

If you can't activate your iPhone

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Have a great day!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2018 5:11 PM in response to Aehende

Hello Aehende,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your iPad displays "could not activate because the server cannot be reached". I'm happy to help.

I recommend following the steps below. The steps are specific to an iPhone, but they could help with your iPad as well.
  1. Check the list on the System Status page. If the box by iOS Device Activation isn't green, try to activate your iPhone later.
  2. If asked to enter your password as you activate your iPhone, enter the password. (A password prompt means that Activation Lock might be enabled in Find My iPhone.)
  3. Restart your iPhone.
  4. If you're using a cellular data connection, connect to a reliable Wi-Fi network instead.

If you still can't activate, here's how to activate your iPhone through iTunes instead:

3. Open iTunes on your computer. With the cable that came with your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your computer.

If iTunes shows, "Set up as New" or "Restore from Backup," it means that iTunes activated your iPhone.

Have a great day!

Mar 7, 2018 5:11 PM in response to Aehende

Hello Aehende,

3. Restart your iPhone.

Have a great day!

Could not activate iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.