Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete mail in Mac Mail

Mac OS X 10.12.6, late 2012 iMac.

Mail behaving strangely,latest problem is that mail in Trash folder will not delete using the Mailbox menu=>erase deleted messages=> in all accounts.

Nothing happens when I choose this.

The 206 message in my Trash folder just stay there.

I have done the mailbox rebuild several times, did not help.

Any ideas?

thanks

Caroline

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:37 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 11:22 PM in response to cdeegan

Trash Mailbox

Select a mailbox on the mail server or on your Mac to store deleted messages, or choose None.

This option is available only for IMAP accounts.

Note: If you select None, deleted messages may temporarily remain in a mailbox, but are hidden or dimmed. To show or hide these messages, choose View > Show Deleted Messages or View > Hide Deleted Messages.

Erase deleted messages

Mail erases deleted messages at the specified time. Select a setting other than Never to avoid exceeding storage limits set by your email account provider.

If you selected None for Trash Mailbox, you can choose to have Mail permanently delete messages automatically.

If your email account provider sets up the server to delete older messages, the messages are deleted regardless of how you set this option.

• Automatically erase messages: Choose Mail > Preferences, click Accounts, then select an account. Click Mailbox Behaviors, then in the Trash section choose when you want Mail to permanently erase deleted messages—for example, after one month.If you have an IMAP account whose server is set up to delete older messages, they are erased regardless of your settings.
  • Manually erase messages at any time: Choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items, then choose an account.

Mar 6, 2018 7:48 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for replies.

I already had a Trash mailbox, had set deletion time for 1 week.

What did not work was manual deletion, attempted via the menu item "Mailbox".

Today I checked the Trash mailbox and all the previous items there were gone.

So, problem solved itself, at least temporarily.

Caroline

Mar 6, 2018 7:53 AM in response to cdeegan

The right way is to delete from web mail account , in gmail account there is a settings if you want to delete the mails permanently ( that are not required ) in moments but they are stored for 30 days when you don't delete them , I am not sure which mail services are you using .

Also it depends upon the internet service provider .

Can't delete mail in Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.