Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2009 iMac SSD upgrade question

So I have an early 2009 iMac 24". I would like to upgrade to a SSD and 16 ram. My computer is running OS X El Capitan and I performed a Time Machine back up on that OS. I still have my Snow Leopard discs and was wondering if after HD upgrade I can re-install Snow Leolard then update to El Capitan to sync with Time Capsule? It's my understanding you need to be running the same OS as the Time Machine back up?? BTW. This is more of a preemptive upgrade. My computer is still fully functional but getting very slow so if there is an better way to do this that would great info.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 2:48 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2018 2:52 PM in response to Beau08

Before you go to the trouble of a clean install please download and run EtreCheck, created by one of own colleagues here in ASC. It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information.

Just being an older Mac does not in itself mean it should be slowing down.

Mar 5, 2018 3:06 PM in response to Beau08

Your plan is good. After you've finished, connect your TM drive and choose to "inherit Time Machine backup". But be careful, because you may migrate back any of the problems that are making it slow.

If it were me, I'd rather make a clone and then be able to selectively drag & drop the files I was sure were not problematic. You can use a cloning software like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopy Cloner.

Early 2009 iMac SSD upgrade question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.