Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I pay 9.99 a month for apple music. Does this enable me to download music or do I still have to pay for each download. What am I paying for with this 9.99 a month???

I am paying 9.99$ a month for apple music. What do I get for this?? When I tried todownload an apple earlier this week, I still was charged the usual price. So what is the advantage to apple music if I cannot download what I like for free.. What am I really paying for???

Rena McGArry

null-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 4:32 PM

Apple Music is a monthly subscription service that lets stream and download any song, or album from the Apple Music catalog.

It does not let you download Apps for free.

It also does not in any way, shape or from stop you from actually buying a song, or an album outright if you want to.

Since downloads from the Apple Music subscription service are tied to the subscription being active, the ability to actually buy a song or album to keep even if the subscription is cancelled or expired is obtained by outright buying the song or album.

Think of a Gym membership, or Netflix You don't own the gym equipment or movies you have access to while you are subscribed, But you can still buy gym equipment or movies if you want to while being subscribed.

Same thing with Apple Music. You pay for access to the entire catalog of music, but only while you pay.

If you want to keep something after that you need to buy it.

If you just want to stream or download without buying you can do that. You have both options for how to get content.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 4:32 PM in response to renamcgarry

Apple Music is a monthly subscription service that lets stream and download any song, or album from the Apple Music catalog.

It does not let you download Apps for free.

It also does not in any way, shape or from stop you from actually buying a song, or an album outright if you want to.

Since downloads from the Apple Music subscription service are tied to the subscription being active, the ability to actually buy a song or album to keep even if the subscription is cancelled or expired is obtained by outright buying the song or album.

Think of a Gym membership, or Netflix You don't own the gym equipment or movies you have access to while you are subscribed, But you can still buy gym equipment or movies if you want to while being subscribed.

Same thing with Apple Music. You pay for access to the entire catalog of music, but only while you pay.

If you want to keep something after that you need to buy it.

If you just want to stream or download without buying you can do that. You have both options for how to get content.

May 6, 2018 5:10 PM in response to Lindalompocli1

1. This is a user to user forum. You are not addressing Apple. As users, we are not charging you for anything.

2. If you want to cancel a subscription, you can follow the steps here: View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support Make sure its actually cancelled.

3. If you updated the card information for iTunes, it will be used to pay for Apple Music. Apple cannot magically get a card number you did not give them.

4. If you never cancelled the free trial, then it would have auto renewed and started charging you.

If you want to contact iTunes support directly you can fill in this form: iTunes Store - Contact Us - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2018 9:05 PM in response to renamcgarry

So, advanced users that are more eloquent, please correct my juvenile knowledge here...

I'm new to this, but like most Apple quirks it seems like it depends on what you have selected when you try to buy/download songs. If you open iTunes, select Music from the top left (under the pause button) and then select "library" from the center selection and then search for a song title it will show you those related songs and then allow you to BUY it--in addition to your monthly Music subscription cost.

Instead of selecting "library", try selecting "For You" and then search for a song title. Now, instead of seeing a price next to the songs you'll see a "+" sign which means you can add/download it to your playlist/library and listen to it on/off-line WITHOUT having to pay more $$$.

Hope this helps. It only took me a few days to figure it out; luckily, just before I was about to delete my Apple Music account. 😉 Cheers!

May 6, 2018 3:23 PM in response to smithkd15

I am 73 years old. I did a trial period. I went back on and stopped it when I was supposed but it didn't. I called the phone number. That was no help. It was a recording. Telling me it must have been someone in my family that started. It hung up!!!!!! NOW WHOM DO I TALK TO, TO GET THE $9.99 TO STOP BIENG WITH DRAWN FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT? I am on a fixed INCOME.

I pay 9.99 a month for apple music. Does this enable me to download music or do I still have to pay for each download. What am I paying for with this 9.99 a month???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.