Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backup stops automatically.

So I just got my new RAID set all set up and I wanted to backup my stuff. I manually started to backup. It had 300 gigabytes to copy, but it stoped 3 minutes in at only 500 megabytes. I don't why it automatically stops by itself. It leaves a file with an extension of .inProgress. How do I get it to copy successfully? (If it helps, this is a 2 terabyte RAID setup and I have files outside of the backups folder.)

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 3:15 PM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2018 3:23 PM in response to Flummox465

Drive Partition and Format - El Capitan or Later

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the RAID drive under RAID Sets section in the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. A panel should drop down.
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and click on the Done button when it is activated.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.

Try your Time Machine backup again.

Mar 5, 2018 6:33 PM in response to Eric Root

Ok, I did it. I ran first aid as well just to check and everything was ok. When I backup, it stops at around 50-100 gigabytes or so with an error saying, "If this persists, run first aid." I do and everything is find once again. However, it resumes to it's current file. So I press backup now every time this error comes up to continue until it finishes. Is there any way around this?

Time machine backup stops automatically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.