Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you choose which files should exist only in iCloud?

I was about to run out of hard drive space (only about ~5GB left out of 250GB). So, I decided to start using iCloud to back up my Documents and Desktop folders/files because it is supposed to automatically start freeing up space on your hard drive after your files have been uploaded to iCloud by only keeping the most recent files.

I'm about a day in so far and the backup is only about 1/3 complete (~80GB). However, I'm still at 5GB of storage space left. So, it seems that the "automatic" process to free space has not yet started.

So, I'm just wondering: Is there a way to select folders/files that have already been uploaded to iCloud and manually set them to "iCloud only" instead of waiting for the "automatic" process to free up the space. I know Dropbox has a similar feature in "Smart Sync" where you can select "Online only" to free up space.

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:04 PM

Sorry, no. The only option is the Optimize Mac Storage which automatically optimizes but you cannot select specific files or folders to be online only.

You aren't the first to want that capability. You may want to make the suggestion to Apple via Feedback - iCloud - Apple

2 replies

Can you choose which files should exist only in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.