Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Summary By Category - Numbers Template

I am trying to use the same formula as used in the template "personal budget" that pulls $$ from each category and separates it from transactions into the specified budget (SUMIF),(CATEGORY),(A3),($AMOUNT)) this is the one used in that template and I used it exactly the same only with the cell data that line up with my tables and it won't work for some reason. I could use some help!

Thanks

MacBook Air, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:58 PM

The issue is in the highlighted cells here:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And here:

User uploaded file

E-1, in the selected cell of the summary table, is not a match for any of the categories in the Category column of the Account table. With no expenses listed in that exact category, the total (0:00) is correct.

Solution: Either combine the category and descriptive name into a single string, matching one of the categories named in the Account table, or use a separate column in the account table containing only the expense code for each transaction.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 6:58 PM in response to ffmwilson

The issue is in the highlighted cells here:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And here:

User uploaded file

E-1, in the selected cell of the summary table, is not a match for any of the categories in the Category column of the Account table. With no expenses listed in that exact category, the total (0:00) is correct.

Solution: Either combine the category and descriptive name into a single string, matching one of the categories named in the Account table, or use a separate column in the account table containing only the expense code for each transaction.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 5, 2018 5:32 PM in response to ffmwilson

Hi ffm,

Please remember:

We can't see what you see, unless you show it to us.

We can't see your tables, what you have entered in the cells, and the way your data is arranged.

We can't see your formulas to determine the possible errors in them.

We can't see how the formula fails without seeing the data and the result produced by the formula (including any error messages.

We can only guess.

My initial guess is that you have entered text, not numbers, into the Amount column. Entering any text, such as a $ sign in what should be a numerical entry makes Numbers see that entry as a text value, not a number.

If you want the number to be displayed as currency, Format the cells as currency, but enter the values as numbers.

Regards,

Barry

Summary By Category - Numbers Template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.