Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partition won't back to actually size

Sorry for my bad english.

I use iMac mid 2011 with hdd 500gb

I can't restore the actually size partition after removed the new partition.

Any idea for fix this problem. Thank you

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:28 PM

35 replies

Mar 6, 2018 7:52 AM in response to Sakkai_Jr

Wow! I don't know how you created a 303.4GB Recovery HD. That should only be 250MB.

I would suggest you back up your system.

Restart using Command+Option+R (Internet Recovery which will install the current version of an OS your Mac supports - e.g. 10.13.3)

Launch Disk Utility and select your ST3500418AS Media. Click the Erase button to reformat and recreate a single volume (partition) using Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the GUID Partition Map Scheme.

Then, reinstall macOS High Sierra and during Setup, migrate all your user accounts, data, setttings, apps, etc. from your back up.

You need to use an external recovery to be able to manipulate your drive.

Mar 6, 2018 8:24 AM in response to Sakkai_Jr

You can't use Recovery Mode (Command+R) to do what you need to do. So, you have to use an external source like Internet Recovery or a clone that you can boot from. Something other than your internal drive which contains your Recovery HD.

I'm done. You're getting conflicting information from me and majortom1967. So, work with him. Good Luck!

Mar 6, 2018 8:57 AM in response to Sakkai_Jr

I believe you'll get the same result... sorry. You can clone your disk on an external disk and reclone back (Carbon Copy Cloner) but I believe you'll still get a huge Recovery Partition as CCC rely's on the original. Better get an 8 Gbyte USB key and make a Mac OS bootable disk with Disk Maker X. Or a friend that has a clean install of HS (unlikely)

Partition won't back to actually size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.