Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Wifi repeater with a Time Capsule network

Can I use a ASUS wifi repeater to extend Time Capsule wifi network? I set up the device per the instructions and my MacBook and iPhone can see the "repeated" network but when I try to connect to that "repeated" network I get an incorrect password error message. Should I just quit using the Time capsule networks and use the Xfinity provided router?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 13 " macbook pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 6:08 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 5, 2018 6:21 PM in response to llangston1

Can I use a ASUS wifi repeater to extend Time Capsule wifi network?

Probably not, since Apple uses proprietary settings for the their "extend" feature, which are designed to only work among other Apple AirPort wireless routers.

Should I just quit using the Time capsule networks and use the Xfinity provided router?

You should use the products that provide the best performance in your home.

However, Apple expects you to use the Time Capsule wireless if you are backing up your Mac(s) using Time Machine. So they do not officially support Time Machine backups over a third party wireless network. Things might still work though if you want to try to back up over the Asus wireless.

Mar 5, 2018 6:23 PM in response to llangston1

What model is the Asus?

Did you reboot the whole network once you have the repeater in place.. this can be important to get things to kick off.. but I do have to say any universal wireless repeater is not the greatest for the job.. that is why apple routers are designed to extend another router properly in WDS type system..

It is worthwhile testing the repeater on the Xfinity router for sure.. as that will ensure you actually do have the setup correct and everything is working.

Even better if the Asus has AP mode.. you can plug it into the TC or the Xfinity with ethernet or powerline adapters.. far superior results.

Mar 5, 2018 7:10 PM in response to LaPastenague

The ASUS is the small RP-N12 N300 repeater which only works on the 2.4Ghz band. I was looking for an extender/repeater for use with a wireless security camera that would be mounted on my garage which is on a diagonally opposite side of my house from where my Time Capsule is located in an upstairs room (30-40+ ft away). I was preferring to get a $30 generic wifi repeater and not another $100 plus Apple device if at all possible.

My son uses it with no issues at his house but he uses Xfinity modem/wifi router and not a Time Capsule.

Mar 5, 2018 8:32 PM in response to llangston1

Ok.. I know the product.. it is fairly old and it should work.. there is a switch on it to swap from router to repeater mode??

Try it from the Xfinity.. as that will probably be better anyway for the camera.. not all of which like apple products.

Remember if you use Apple recommended names.. they will often fail.. because the name is illegal..

eg Langton's Airport Time Capsule

Uses illegal character.. the apostrophe.. as well as being too long and with spaces.

Use short name, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.. eg LGTC

Passwords same rules but can be longer.

Mar 6, 2018 6:07 PM in response to llangston1

No, we said that you might have problems.....because Apple expects you to use the Time Capsule wireless for Time Machine backups.

Apple does not officially support Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule over a third-party (Asus) wireless network, but things might work OK anyway. The only way to find out how well.....or if.....things will work on your Asus network is try them out.

If things work OK, then you probably won't care that Apple does not officially support what you are doing.

However....if you have problems with Time Machine backups over a third-party network, Apple will not help you....even if you are willing to pay them.

Using a Wifi repeater with a Time Capsule network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.