Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlists referencing other playlists and iCloud Music Library still an issue

When iCloud Music Library was released to the public, there smart playlists became a litte dumber by losing the ability to reference other (smart)playlists. See this old discussion thread:

Smart Playlists and iCloud Music Library

This feature is part of many music enthusiasts using iTunes as it is: a database containing their music universe. Not offering this feature is like twisting with physical constants.

When fast forward to today smartlists did not re-gain this feature. Any news or new workarounds anyone ?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 2:53 PM

I have been struggling with this exact same issue. For years (prior to Apple Music) I have relied on smart playlists referencing other smart playlists to aggregate my music and ensure all songs (i have thousands) stay in constant rotation through meticulous organization of my library and constant updates to song ratings. Since Apple Music, and the new iTunes updates, I have lost this feature, and been reduced to manually copying songs from all of my smart playlists into a new “dumb” playlist. Obviously, this is very laborious, and not ideal.

However, I have recently found a work-around that solves my issue! Using the free app “Workflow”

Workflow by Apple https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/workflow/id915249334?mt=8

I was able to create a workflow that does this work automatically. Now I simply press a button, and my smart playlists are aggregated, and added to “Up Next” in the Music app, and it starts playing. This is a HUGE improvement for my listening habits.

Here is a quick shot of one of the Workflows I’ve created to do the music management. I hope you find this helpful!

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2018 2:53 PM in response to itsafire

I have been struggling with this exact same issue. For years (prior to Apple Music) I have relied on smart playlists referencing other smart playlists to aggregate my music and ensure all songs (i have thousands) stay in constant rotation through meticulous organization of my library and constant updates to song ratings. Since Apple Music, and the new iTunes updates, I have lost this feature, and been reduced to manually copying songs from all of my smart playlists into a new “dumb” playlist. Obviously, this is very laborious, and not ideal.

However, I have recently found a work-around that solves my issue! Using the free app “Workflow”

Workflow by Apple https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/workflow/id915249334?mt=8

I was able to create a workflow that does this work automatically. Now I simply press a button, and my smart playlists are aggregated, and added to “Up Next” in the Music app, and it starts playing. This is a HUGE improvement for my listening habits.

Here is a quick shot of one of the Workflows I’ve created to do the music management. I hope you find this helpful!

User uploaded file

Smart Playlists referencing other playlists and iCloud Music Library still an issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.